Sunday, October 31, 2010

God is the Creator of All Beginnings

I am thankful for new beginnings. I look forward to the New Year each January. Not for the cold weather, but for a chance to clean out the clutter in my life (and closets), that has accumulated over the past year. As Paul says in Philippians 3:13 – “…Forgetting what is behind and pressing toward what is ahead.” – I am grateful for what the New Year brings. We need that fresh start every once in awhile to help us refocus on what's important and what can go!

God is all about new beginnings as well. Take a look at what Lamentations 3:22-24 says about His compassions (love) for us – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are NEW every morning; great is your faithfulness! I say to myself, The Lord is my portion, therefore I will wait for him.” Isn’t it exciting to know we can have a clean slate every morning; a fresh start to every day? Make sure you take advantage of His compassions and thank Him for this privilege.

Genesis means: beginning or origin of: the world, human history, family, a nation, civilization and salvation. As the book of beginnings, Genesis sets the stage for the entire Bible. It reveals:
· the person and nature of God. (Creator, Sustainer, Judge, Redeemer)
· the value and dignity of human beings. (made in God’s image, saved by grace, used by God)
· the tragedy and consequences of sin. (the fall, separation from God, judgment)
· the promise and assurance of salvation. (covenant, forgiveness, promised Messiah)

A blueprint for beginnings in the first book of the Bible would look like:

  • The Beginning of Life – Genesis 1:1 - 2:3 (Creation)
  • The Beginning of Man – Genesis 2:4 - 5:32 (Adam, Eve and their family)
  • The New Beginning – Genesis 6:1 – 11:32 (Noah and the flood)
  • The Beginning of a Great Nation – Genesis 12:1 – 25:18 (Abraham and Sarah)
  • The Beginning of Family – Genesis 25:19 – 36:43 (Isaac, Jacob, Esau)
  • The New Beginning for a Family – Genesis 37:1 – 50:26 (Jacob, Joseph and his brothers)

What needs a new beginning in your life? Is it your relationship with God? Join our online Bible study, it's guaranteed to give your spiritual life the new beginning it needs. www.pathfinderministries.org/study.html Has the hurt and pain from unforgiveness affected your relationship with others in your life? Are you holding on to the guilt and shame from your past that you just can't forgive yourself for?

God wants to heal all these areas of your life and give you a new beginning. Remember that His love never fails and His mercies are NEW every morning! There’s no limit to His faithfulness…You can’t use it up! Go to Him and tell Him your hurts. He may already know, but He wants to hear you acknowledge what you’re feeling. He wants to know you are ready to move on; to start over. First John 1:9 assures us that “If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – which means He wipes the slate clean; He allows us to begin anew.

Are you ready for a new beginning? Ask God-the Creator of all beginnings-to provide you with the hope and grace only He can give and make sure to take advantage of His new mercies EVERY day!

Online Class: Like Abraham, we must learn the importance of obedience to God. Share with us what obedience looks like in your own life. Also, how are others affected by your disobedience? Thanks for sharing...you'll never know what an encouragement you are to others!


17 comments:

LouAnn said...

Obedience for me is going past the excuses I make to not do something I know I should do. When Im obedient and resist the temptation I always am blessed that I followed through. How are others affected, what if there is a need I could have helped with. Then I lose out on a blessing and possibly so does the person I was meant to help.

Tami said...

Resisting the temptations, as LouAnn mentioned is the key to obedience. When you fall into the temptation to lie about something - you not only hurt yourself, you hurt the person you've lied to, for example. Satan knows the buttons to push in each of us that triggers those "excuses" those temptations to "just do this..."...and weaken our spirit to do right. Let's say when we LET Satan weaken us...BUT greater is HE that is in us then he who is in the world. Amen...pass the plate...

Sally said...

I do not believe that God leads us into temptation, but that we choose to enter into it, when we disobey His purpose, for us, at any given time..We leave the door open for satan,to enter our lives, when we disobey..To be an obedient
servant,is to be a
"highly favored" servant!.. surrounded by His wonderful grace!

Erin said...

For me it would be to stay focused on taking time out of my crazy day and spending personal time with God. whether that would be studing his word or just worshiping him. I think that would help me with my attitude for that day.

Stephanie said...

Obedience for me would have to be to stay in God's present throughout the day... To keep Him in the center of my life. I have found that when I am in prayer for guidence for not just me, but for my husband and my children our life seems to flow just right! :)

Barbara Guest said...

Obedience for me is starting the day reading the Bible and praying to God. I am a high school teacher and it is a high STRESS job. God states in Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything..." I find when I don't start the day out with God, I get anxious and I end up taking it out on one of the teenagers I teach. I'm always sorry for it later.

Pat said...

For me being obedient is knowing the difference between right and wrong through God's eyes. Many times I have chose the wrong path which has only lead to disappointment and remorse within myself. When chosing the right path I am filled with happiness. That is why I am so "thankful" God gives us new beginnings.

Dee said...

In my life, obedience is following through with what I've learned in God's word. When I am disobedient and choose to make choices that go against God's word I know that I've let others down and there is a not so good feeling in my spirit. God is good and is full of love and forgiveness. I know that there is another chance to do things right.

Holly said...

My word is - trust.

Obedience is beginning my day with God in prayer and study. But for me it is just as important that I stay connected throughout my day.
Listening to Fox News while I work,
leaves me feeling hopeless and overburdened with the weight of the world. But listening to christian music or just getting quiet as I go about my day fills me with my God: His joy, His peace.
When I am obedient I fall asleep feeling blessed that my son is serving his country and pursueing God's plan for his life instead of feeling fearful and angry that he is risking everything for an ungrateful country. Obedience focuses me on my God not the world.

Unknown said...

When I am obedient to the nudges of God and to the principals of scripture I feel happy and secure. When I am not I am grumpy and displeased with myself. I of course wish I was always obedient, but that isnt so...the fall out is an unhappy, displeased self...which causes less peaceful living. My word for the year is actually 2 words self control.

Anonymous said...

Obedience for me is COMPLETELY trusting in God and not stressing or worrying about life. I affect my relationship with others when I worry to much because I think too much about the situation and overanalyize it, instead of praying about it and trusting that God is in control. I don't fully enjoy the time I spend with people because I'm worrying and thinking about other stuff that I think I'm in control of, but I'm not at all. God is in control and can change my life in the blink of an eye!

Theresa B. said...

Obedience to me is staying in the Word. It's very easy to get carried away with all life's demands. I need to remember what's most important! And that is God. Not the cleanliness of my house, nor sleep. God promises to be sufficient for me and when I obey I find that He is.

I do not want to be in Abraham's place and end up killing my child because I wasn't listening to God. ;)

Anonymous said...

To me obedience is giving up everything into the hands of the Lord. This requires trust and faith that he will provide for every need. This is easy to say...not so easy to do.
Deann

Anonymous said...

Kathleen....for me Obedience would be submission to Our Father God. It has been an ongoing process rather than a single moment of change at rebirth. The old man has been shedding off in layers. In complete submission/obedience I think full servantship will arise. Jesus devine hand can touch so many thru a servants heart. Peace and Blessings as we study HIS HOLY WORD together.

Renee said...

Obedience for is being staying focused on my personal relationship with God, studying his Word and trying to follow the path He has for my life. I guess others would be affected by this because if I lose focus I am not the wife, mother, daughter, sister, servant or friend that I should be and I am not blessing them the way I should be.

Nancy Bailey said...

Obedience in my life looks like me practicing humility. When I get haughty that I am able to handle the circumstances in my life, what I really need is a dose of humility. If I do not realize I'm not in control of uncontrollable circumstances; I will become frustrated and depressed. When ultimately an issue comes up with my disabilities/health I can practice humility and surrender it to Jesus,or choose to carry the burden alone. When I humble myself to realize that Christ suffered and so why would I be above that in my own life; things just seem more bearable, grace filled and purposeful.

Deanna said...

Obedience could be better in my life. It is a working process to hear God's voice and respond to it. My witness of doing one thing and not following through will put a question in how others see my life. I too will lose out on a blessing when obedience has passed me by.