Sunday, May 22, 2011

Faithful Among the Faithless

Have you ever felt like you were the only one standing firm for what you believe? Is everyone else around you conforming to the world? Daniel and his three friends were put to the test throughout the book of Daniel, yet they stood strong. They remained faithful among the faithless.


Daniel and his three friends - Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego - were taken captive to Babylon by King Nebuchadnezar while in their teens. They were trained in the language, literature and God-less lifestyle of the Babylonians, yet their faith in the true God did not waver.

Daniel encountered 3 types of people during his 70-plus years of serving in the government and these people still exist in our world today:

1) Conformers - These were people who were happy to conform to the king's commands as long as their own lives were spared and they were given what they wanted. Daniel and his friends refused to eat the king's food because it violated their Jewish beliefs. They refused to worship the king's statue of himself because by doing so would disobey God's command to "have no other gods before me." Daniel risked his life by chosing to continue to pray to his God against the king's decree. Yet, by refusing to conform to what everyone else was doing, God and man, rewarded their faithfulness. Are you a conformist in order to keep peace? Has God tested your faith lately to see how strong and how long you will stand for Him?

2) Informers - These were the people who would do and say anything to discredit Daniel and his friends because of their faithfulness to their God. They were jealous of the positions of power Daniel and his friends had been granted and took every opportunity to "inform" the king whenever his commands were not being followed. Is your faith strong enough to withstand the informers attacks in your life? God had blessed Daniel and his friends in the public eye so that others would see the reward for living a faithful life among the faithless. If they had weakend their resolve because of what the informers were saying, their testimony for God would have been erased forever.

3) Transformers - These young men never knew for sure that God would rescue them from the consequences of sticking to their convictions (the fiery furnace or the lion's den), but in order to be an example of faith and to hopefully influence the lives of the faithless around them, they chose to obey God regardless of the outcome. Every time God spared their lives, people witnessed it with their own eyes. Lives were transformed through the lives of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Are lives being changed because people are watching your faith in action?

Dare to be a Daniel today. Dare to stand firm in your faith, even among the faithless in your life. God blesses and rewards faithfulness. For those old enough to remember the little song we sang as kids - make this your prayer today:
"Dare to be a Daniel,
Dare to stand alone!
Dare to have a purpose firm!
Dare to make it known!" ~ Philip P. Bliss

BLOG COMMENT: Do you have an example/encouragment to share with others of when you stood faithful among the faithless? A time when your faithfulness was rewarded?

3 comments:

Pat said...

When I asked God to come back into my life things changed. On the outside I was baptised, became a member of the Church and joined Bible studies. On the inside my heart changed. My friends and much of my family didn't call any longer to invite me over or just talk. Comments had gotten back to me of them joking about my Faith and how long it would be before I stopped going to Church. For a few years it was like they had their lives and I had mine. Lately, in almost every family something has happened like cancer, death or life altering situations. They have all started contacting me again. They are looking for an answer as to why this is happening in their lives. I can only lend a ear, a prayer and be there for them as I have always been. My reward is that they see something in me, a change and many want to bring that change in their lives. It is true, people are always watching and remaining Faithful speaks volumes.

Nancy Bailey said...

I have had many chronic illnesses and health issues since I was a small child. In the course of managing the conditions, long hospitalizations, tests and Dr's trips; I've encountered many Dr's who did not believe in God. When they would ask me how I kept going or marvelled at my ability to go on I would tell them it was not me. I am not that good or that strong, but God is and has a purpose for me. This was a constant door opened for me to tell others about my faith and honor Jesus Christ and His sustaining power and love.

Deanna said...

"Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld....
2 Chronicles 20:20 NIV

There are times when we would love to keep our distance from the faithless, only to find God is calling us to them.

The message to believers of every generation is clear: live by faith today and every day. If your faith is being tested to the point of breaking, know that your Savior is near. If you reach out to him in faith, He will give you peace and heal your broken spirit.(Promises & Prayers for Women)

We all are brought into situations that our loving, faithful God will use to make us stronger,seeing the need to help the faithless, giving him all the glory, and we being truly blessed.