Monday, January 7, 2013

What's It Going to Take?

Motivational Memo:
To: Women who desire to make lasting changes in their life.
From: Tonia C. Harrison, M.A.
Re: What's It Going to Take?


Have you made your New Year resolutions only to have given up already? Are you thinking of goals you want to reach in 2013 only to be discouraged? I recently read an article on making change in our life. The author stressed that we should not focus on resolutions or goals, but on developing habits instead!

Research shows that it takes at least 21 days to form a habit. Habits begin as purposeful, deliberate and conscious; but as you practice them, they move from being things you intentionally and consciously work on to eventually being unconscious, consistent and positive behaviors no matter the circumstances. Think of when you first learned how to drive. You were conscious and deliberate of everything you did - now it just comes naturally (although consciousness is still suggested!) The same is true when you begin a new habit or replace an old, not so good, one.

What's it going to take for you to desire and determine to make a new habit? Will it take a warning from your doctor before you improve your health? Your employer before you improve your work performance? Your spouse before you improve your marriage? Are you already aware of warning signs in your spiritual life, but you've been ignoring them? Is the result of your holiday spending catching up with you and causing stress? Is the relationship with family and friends not what you wish it was? Things can change - You can change!

CHALLENGE: Gradual change is lasting change. Trying to change something cold-turkey rarely works for the long term. This month we're going to decide and determine what new habit we want to create in our life! There are 2 things you need to do in the next few weeks:

1) Honestly think about what it'sgoing to take for you to dedicate yourself to change?

 2) Share with us ONE new habit you are going to develop.

It must be specific - not "get healthy" but "drink 8 glasses of water a day for 21 days" or "exercise for 10 minutes a day for the first 7 days, the add 5 minutes for the next 7 days, etc." Not "get closer to God" but "spend 10 minutes in prayer every morning" or "read a chapter from Proverbs every day"...you get the idea! I can't wait to read your responses! Please use this forum to be an encouragement and motivation to each other.






9 comments:

Tonia said...

I plan to "re-lose" the 10 pounds I lost before the holidays. I am re-establishing the habit of drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day!

Nancy Bailey said...

I want to make the time for the physical stretching exercises and walking I need specifically to help make my arthritis manageable. I keep active, but it is not the same as doing these specific therapy type things which I need.

Sara Albright said...

I want to spend 20 minutes EVERY morning in prayer and Bible reading/study.

Tonia said...

Great specific habits!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen said...now that I am in the current year...lol God showed me that I need to seek his help as I learn the habit of being focused, mindful and present in each task. Shed off the habit of distraction.

Tonia said...

So true Kathleen - distraction can be a habit can't it? We have so much distracting us that we just accept it as normal. It takes a conscious effort to be focused and present!

Sally said...

I need to "allow" God to lead me through my day..I tend to go ahead of Him..His timing is not my timing!!..During my morning quiet time, with Him, I need to ask Him for more patience, in order to "wait upon His timing", versus my own, during that "one day" that He has promised..One day at a time, walking "beside my Lord, not in front of Him"!!

Pat said...

Mine is to stop worrying about the next day. Would like to enjoy what is happening in the moment rather than running the next days events in my head.

Tonia said...

Great comments Sally and Pat! It is so important, and challenging at the same time, to focus on the here and now - but that is all we have - so why not make the most of it!!