Tuesday, January 13, 2015


Secure or Shaken?

His Word: Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me…  Psalm 16: 9-10a

Observation & Obedience:  What person doesn’t want a glad heart, a tongue that rejoices and a body that rests secure? The author, David, had found the secret to joy. True joy is far deeper than happiness. Happiness is temporary because it is based on external circumstances. But joy like David experienced is lasting because of God’s presence within us.

David’s focus for his hope was based on God’s presence being permanent in his life, regardless of what was going on around him. We too can have the same benefits. If we read a few verses before our key verse, we’ll see what David did in order to find such joy, rest and security.

Psalm 16:7 – I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. David made it a habit to praise God – day and night; even when he was being counseled and instructed by God. How often do we praise Him when He is correcting and changing our well laid out plans?

Psalm 16:8a - I keep my eyes always on the LORD. Where was David’s focus? On himself? On his enemies? On his women and wealth? On his title and prestige? His focus was always on the Lord.  Did that make him perfect? No, but he recognized that he always needed to have God before him – guiding and directing him.

Psalm 16:8b – With him (God) at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  David knew that with God by his side, he had no reason to fear and doubt. Like David, we still must live in a sinful world and experience the day to day circumstances of life. But for those who praise God, seek His counsel and instruction, keep their focus on Him, they can have the security in knowing they’re doing what is right and important in God’s eyes.

So that leads us to David’s proclamation in verse 9-10a. His heart is glad, his tongue rejoices and his body rests secure. Are you experiencing the same benefits in your life? Maybe you need to choose to adopt David’s actions. You can start today:

1) List 2-5 things/people/lessons you can praise God for that He has used to counsel and instruct you.

2) Examine where your focus is? Are your eyes always on the Lord following His guidance or are they wandering around looking for other ways to find joy, peace and rest? How are these things/people working for you?

3) Do you truly believe that God is always before/with you? Or do you sometimes wonder if He’s too busy with other things to pay attention to your needs? This may sound foolish, but how many of us have thought this at one time or another? Think of a time God showed up in a big way in your life. Write Him a thank you note...

Prayer: “Dear God, forgive me for the times I’ve been upset with You for correcting me and instructing me to do something I may not have agreed with. Help me to always keep my eyes and focus on You because You are always before and with me.  I don’t need to fear because you will fill me with joy in your presence and with eternal pleasures (Psalm 16:11).  Today I choose to live with a glad heart, a tongue that rejoices and a body that rests secure. Amen.”

Encouragement: Jesus did not promise to change the circumstances around us. He promised great peace and pure joy to those who would learn to believe that God actually controls all things.     Corrie ten Boom (Holocaust Survivor)

No comments: