Sunday, October 30, 2011

Love is....


Love is more than a feeling. It's more than just a warm fuzzy that makes us happy for the moment. Love is more than that - but how much more?

Paul was addressing the young group of believers in his letter to the Corinthians. They lived in the corrupt and immoral city of Corinth and their new found faith was being tested. Paul wrote this letter to not only correct and encourage them, but to teach them how to act as Christians.

Right in the middle of Paul's words on spiritual gifts and orderly worship is his hymn to love which he hopes will heal the division and disputes going on between these new believers. They (as well as us today) needed to be reminded why love is so important to the Christian life.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." ~ I Corinthians 13:4-7

Paul wanted the Corinthians to see that love puts maturity into character. They were impatient with each other, suing one another, tolerating sin in the church and creating problems because they did not have love. He wraps up his message in verse 14, "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

In morally corrupt Corinth, love had become a mixed-up term with little meaning. Today, people are still confused about love. Love is the greatest of all human qualities and is an attribute of God himself.

Love involves unselfish service to others. Faith is the foundation and content of God's message. Hope is the attitude and focus and Love is the action. Love is more than a feeling. It requires thought and action. It requires putting others' needs in front of our own. But when all else fails, we know that love, God's love, lasts/endures forever!

When faith and hope are in line, we are free to love completely because we understand how God loves. Does your faith fully express itself in loving others?

4 comments:

LouAnn said...

The love for others has come more easily for me with my hope and faith in Christ. Because I love Him so much and am so grateful for all he has done for me and not giving up on me. I can't help but want to give Him my all and that mindset has freed up my vision and causes me to see others with a different light and to respond to them in a more loving, patient manner.

Sally said...

Love is an action,etc., that displays God's love, within us. It can be displayed, in so many different ways, in our everyday lives.
God's love is showing forth, through me, to those, who I may come in contact with, who do not want to "receive" my love.
Despite their feelings, and/or actions, I can still feel "God's" love/compassion, for them, and pray,(action), for "His vision/purpose", for their lives, to come forth...
Without the Holy Spirit's powerful love,and the measure of faith, and hope within me, I would not "feel" this love, abounding.
But, God is good, and "God is Love"!

Nancy Bailey said...

My love and concern for others comes through in a strength that is not my own, but comes from the things I have learned and lived through which God has given to me.I can care for an ill loved one because I understand suffering. I can be concerned for the teens at church because I understand their desire to fit in and to be accepted.And I can empathize with a senior's frustrations in the limitations they have physically; because I have those same limitations. I thank God for the quiet strength he lends me.

Deanna said...

Love is the following:

Let me love unselfishly
Open up myself to others
Vow to love deeply, from the heart
Evidence of a genuine faith when loving others.

A Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, You have blessed me with a love that is infinite and eternal. Let me love You, Lord, more and more each day. Make me a loving servant today and throughout eternity. And, let me show my love for You by sharing Your message and Your love with others.

Rom 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.