Monday, November 28, 2011

Can You Really Do Everything?

I think one of the most misunderstood and often over-used verses has to be Philippians 4:13 - "I can do everything through him (Christ) who gives me strength." This verse has often been used to affirm people's lofty, and often selfish, goals. It has been used flippantly and arrogantly by some; which leads me to wonder if they really know who first spoke those words and the context from which they came.

Philippians is a joy-filled letter from Paul, encouraging and rejoicing over the believers in Philippi. He wants them to know that his joy is not found in his circumstances, as he is in prison awaiting trial for preaching the Gospel, but in his relationship with Christ. He reminds them that their happiness is only contingent on the "happenings" around them, but true joy comes from God.

We can learn from Paul's attitude. Even if we cannot rejoice in our circumstances, we can always rejoice in the Lord who controls our circumstances! We must fix our attention on Him. He may not change our situation, but He will change us and that is even better!

In Philippians 4, Paul explains how he has learned to be content in any and every situation. He has experienced great wealth and great poverty. He has been well fed and hungry. He has known human strength and weakness. I would venture to say that not many of us are in a similar situation as Paul, yet we struggle with being content in what we have and where we are. But regardless of his surrounding and situations, he has confidence that he can do all things through the strength he's receiving from Christ.

So back to my original question - can we really do everything? The power we receive in union with Christ is sufficient to do His will and to face the challenges that arise from our commitment to doing it. He does not grant us superhuman ability to accomplish anything we can imagine without regard to His interests. Let's look at what we can do:

1) I can do everything God calls me to do. We have strength in Christ to do what God has planned for us to do for Him. Once we get past the idea that it's all about us and what we want, we can draw on this strength, power and wisdom, to complete His unique purpose for us . And in the end, God is glorified, not ourselves.

2) I can do everything God commands me to do. We need strength in order to live the Christian life - successfully. We are commanded to love, obey, trust, follow, rejoice, live pure lives, resist temptation, etc. Is this really possible to do in our own strength? Can we pick and choose commands that we will attempt on our own and others that we ask for help with? When we live a victorious life - through Christ's strength - God is glorified, not ourselves.

3) I can do everything God convicts me to do. I don't know about you, but this one requires alot of super-natural power sometimes. There are times when I'm convicted to forgive, confront, repent, surrender, practice patience and perseverance and I just don't want to. This is when I must draw on Christ's power to be able to do everything God convicts me to do. And when I do, I know God is pleased and glorified - not myself.

What is God calling, commanding and/or convicting you to do today? Know that you can do everything He wants you to do - through Christ's strength and power - not your own.

BLOG COMMENT: What has your "everything" looked like? Have you been trying to do it all in your own strength and perhaps for your own glory?

5 comments:

Carol W said...

I could not agree with you more! I have held the view for years that we have misused and misunderstood this very familiar part of Scripture. Thanks for your post!!

sally said...

I had never thought about this, before!...Thank you, Tonia, for sharing your insight, into this verse.
I always thought that I did not have "enough" of God's supernatural Power, within me "yet",
because I knew that I didn't hold the Faith I needed, to believe I could accomplish "all" things, whether, in His strength, or not...
Praise God, for continuing to "open our eyes" to what His Word is telling us...

Pat said...

This happens to be my neice's favorite verse. When life kicks her down I see a renewed Spirit in her to get back up and keep going. Maybe many don't understand this verse or know it's meaning but if it helps in some small way for them to keep going with whatever life has dealt them then praise God.

Deanna said...

When I am faced with mountains that seem impossible to climb, like getting ready for a long trip, I find I must trust in God and find that inner strength that he supplies so I will not become weak or weary.

As I turn my thoughts and prayers to Him and remember he is the never-ending source of power and courage, the weakness and becoming weary is His to give me strength and hope and remind me in His Word of His promises. So whatever my circumstances, God will protect me and care for me....if I let HIM!

A Prayer:

Dear Lord, sometimes life is difficult. Sometimes I am worried, weary, heartbroken. But, when I lift my eyes to You, Father, You strengthen me. When I am weak, You lift me up. Today, I turn to you, Lord, for my strength, for my hope, and my salvation. (God's Promises for Women)

Phil 4:13
For I can do all things with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.

Nancy Bailey said...

I have longed to serve Christ in ministry for many years and until the last few I could not either because of physical limitations or rules or regulations too hard for me to follow with those limitations. The funny thing is that I was always being used by God just by my desire to serve and witness. I often think we get caught up in titles like "leaders" and "directors" and "teachers" when the truth is God is the true leader, director and teacher using all of us who belong to him.