Monday, February 6, 2012

What Are You Sure and Certain Of?

                               
Were you sure that the New England Patriots were certain to win this year's Super Bowl? Are you sure that the abundance of snacks you consumed last night are certain not catch up with you later? Can you be sure that the score you saw on the scoreboard as the final seconds ticked away was certainly true?

You may not be a Patriots fan or a football fan of any sorts and you may not relate to anything I've said so far, but one thing I know we all can relate to is the question of where and in whom we put our faith. As we look at the book of Hebrews this week, we see the author's explanation of faith and a biography of Old Testament heroes who demonstrated great faith (Hebrews 11).

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1) Two words describe faith - sure and certain.  Faith is believing God's character - being sure that He is who He says He is. It is also believing in God's promises - being certain that He will do what He says He will do. When we believe God's character as one who is faithful and trust He will fulfill His promises - even though we don't see those promises materializing yet - we demonstrate true faith and TRUE faith is based on what God says and is shown by what we do!

The author of Hebrews wanted the Jewish Christians to know that living by faith is far better than merely fulfilling rituals and rules. Let's look at how we can live out faith in our own lives:

F - Focus:  Fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, (Hebrews 12:2). Our focus should be on the only One who is certain to be faithful and will strengthen and perfect our faith.

A - Act: ...so faith without deeds is dead. (James 2:26)  Are you talking the talk of faith, but your actions speak worry, anxiety, fear, pride, control, depression, etc?

I - Increase: The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!"  (Luke 17:5). When's the last time you asked God to increase your faith? If the disciples, who walked and worked with Jesus needed their faith increased, how much more do we?

T - Take Up: ...take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (Ephesians 6:16).  Our faith is a shield that protects us from the attacks of the enemy. If our "shield" is down, we will suffer from the flaming arrows of doubt, discouragement, dismay, etc.

H - Hear: ... faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17) What are you doing to strengthen your faith? Are you hearing God's Word through Bible study, prayer and His messengers? If the seed of faith is not being watered, it and YOU cannot expect to grow.

Make today the day you begin to Focus, Act, Increase, Take up and Hear God's message in order to be sure and certain that what you hope for and what you cannot see is in God's hands and more than any person (or team) is faithful - To the faithful you show yourself faithful.... (Psalm 18:25).

Download this week's lesson from Hebrews

3 comments:

Sally said...

I am sure that the Lord Jesus, is my Savior, and that I desire to serve Him. I am sure of His Love, and I desire to practice the Faith,
that it takes, to continue in my walk, with Him...daily.
I am sure that ...."without Him" in my life, as my "First Love", I would quickly put many other things,(idols), before Him...resulting in sin, coming to the forefront, instead of living to please Him. I Praise Him, for His Spirit-breathed Word, which has become, the "Light", by which I see...(my road map, etc.!)

Deanna said...

My salvation in Christ- forgiveness of sins- a new home with HIM one day. His presence always is near me- I can call on Jesus anytime, anywhere. He is the strength I claim every day. He keeps all His promises-whether I see them fulfilled in my lifetime, I still have faith he will complete them. Jesus will never leave me nor forsake me.

He gives protection and encouragement-and that the greatest lesson to learn is the fact that God, and God alone, is enough to meet all my needs.

Isaiah 41:13 I am holding you by your right hand...I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, "Do not be afraid. I am here to help you..."

Nancy Bailey said...

I have faith that one day I will receive my glorified body and that hope keeps me going. I have faith that people will act in genuine love one day in God's Kingdom. I have faith that when Jesus rules and reigns on earth that there will be justice. I serve my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ because He has never forgotten me, has been merciful and kept me here for a purpose.I am certain there has been a reason for my suffering and I trust in His deliverance.