Monday, May 18, 2009

Obedience

A - To the degree we are willing to obey, God is willing to reveal His will.

S - "Jesus replied - If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching...." ~ John 14:23

A - As you continue to look at the ACTION you'll choose to take as you respond to your purpose... Accepting, Committing, Trusting and Identifying all may seem easy compared to the next one ~ Obedience!

Obedience is very important to God, as Jesus pointed out in the verse for today. In Psalm 17:4b-5, David confirms a benefit of obeying God (and he knew alot about the consequences of disobeying as well)..."I have kept myself from the ways of the violent. My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not slipped."

Psalm 119 is full of verses about obeying God's laws, ways, precepts, degrees, commands, statutes, etc. v. 2 - Blessed/Happy are those who keep/obey his statues and seek him with all their heart. v. 35 - Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. v. 168 - I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you. I challenge you to read Psalm 119 (all 176 verses!) to see the importance of obedience.

In Jeremiah 7:23, God is giving the people His own challenge ~ "Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in the ways I command you, that it may go well with you." Sounds like a good deal; easy enough? But what does verse 24 tell us they did...."But they did not listen or pay attention; instead they followed the stubborn inclinations of their evil hearts. They went backward and not forward."

I hope today your desire is to move forward; to take the action needed to bring you closer to God and His path to His purposes for your life. Don't be like the stubborn Israelites who missed out on God's blessings and presence in their lives. Recognize that if you are willing to obey, God is willing to show you His will!

P - We all struggle with obedience. For some strange reason, we think we know a better way than God's. We want to try to figure things out on our own first. Don't waste your precious time and energy fighting God...He will ALWAYS win! Confess today areas of your life that are most difficult to follow God in obedience. Be still to hear His voice and then obey what He says!

Next Time.....It's NOT All About You!

No comments: