Sunday, February 20, 2011

Work Zone Begins...

Has God given you a major project He wants you to complete? Does it appear to be an impossible task? Are you feeling inadequate? Do you wonder where to begin? Do you fear failing God?

Nehemiah was devastated when he heard the troubling news that the walls of the city of Jerusalem were still in ruins. It had been almost 100 years since the first group of exiles had returned and nothing had been done to re-construct the walls. Without walls, a city was subject to raids and attacks from their enemies - and Jerusalem had plenty of those. It also represented an unstable establishment. Back in the day, Jerusalem was a bustling city - with its own king, army, commerce, etc. - now it was just a desolate and destroyed pile of rubble.

After much prayer, mourning and fasting, God reveals to Nehemiah that he, Nehemiah, was the one God wanted to take on the project of rebuilding the wall. God had gifted Nehemiah with leadership skills and it was time to put these into action. Nehemiah asks and receives the king's permission to return to Jerusalem, where he leads a team of builders - against much opposition- in reconstructing the wall in only 52 days! A miracle that shocks the Jew's enemies who finally realize "that this work had been done with the help of (our) God" (Nehemiah 6:16).

What are you "building" for God? Is there a "work zone" He has you in today? Maybe you're not reconstructing an entire city wall, but if it's an assignment from God, it is just as important! Let's look at four things we must consider, as Nehemiah did, when undertaking a God-sized project:

1) Prayer - Never underestimate the importance of prayer in all areas of life. Prayer is the first and most important step in any project. Nehemiah was faithful in prayer and took it seriously. He prayed about the situation with the wall (1:4-10). He prayed before he answered the king (2:4b). He prayed instead of returning insults and taunts from the enemies (4:4-6). He prayed after receiving threats of attack (4:7-9) and he prayed for strength in Nehemiah 6:9. Nehemiah went to God first - included God in his plans, put the results in God's hands and relied on God for emotional and physical stability. Do you consult with God before starting an assignment or do you tend to just dive in? Do you take matters into your own hands when you face opposition? Where do you turn when you're under pressure - physically and emotionally?

2) Preparation - Nehemiah had to prepare for his three-month trip back to Jerusalem by getting permission to leave his position as the king's personal advisor and get proper paperwork in order to pass through enemy territory. Once he arrived, he prepared himself mentally by spending three days surveying the damage and seeking God's guidance and direction. Although God had gifted him with leadership qualities, Nehemiah still acknowledged his dependence on God. As opposition rose and threats of attack ensued, Nehemiah had to prepare for both physical and spiritual warfare. How are you preparing? Are you consulting with God in prayer before you begin anything? Are you taking steps toward the goal or waiting for someone else to step up and solve the problem? Are you prepared for the attacks you will encounter whenever you commit to God's assignment? Many things we do for God's purposes will require acts of faith.

3) Priorities - Nehemiah knew what God had assigned him to do and dispite opposition, distractions and attempted derailment - Nehemiah refused to compromise God's plan. He knew what his task was and he set out to complete it- and with God's help - in record time! The Enemy will try all kinds of ploys to get our priorities out of balance and our focus off the task at hand. We may eventually find ourselves far away from the "work zone" and on a detour away from the job all together. It's amazing what can be accomplished when our work and priorities are devoted to the Lord.

4) Perseverance - Nehemiah is one of the best examples of a man committed to a vision and to encouraging others to join him in fulfilling that vision. The laborers were working around the clock, with a sword in one hand and a shovel in the other. They were getting tired of the taunts and ridicule from their enemies. They were reminded daily of how impossible this task was. Their perseverance was beginning to waver. As the great leader he was, Nehemiah reminds them - "...Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight..." (4:14). Just when we are tempted to give up, God provides a "Nehemiah" in our life to give us the push we need to make it to the end. Are you that person?

Maybe God has given you the gift of leadership. Are you using it to do a task He's assigned to you? Nehemiah is a great role model for godly leadership qualities: He demonstated total confidence in God. He was faithful in prayer. He refused to compromise and he had a willingness to share in the work.

Just remember - seemingly impossible tasks can be accomplished when God is helping those who honor Him and when their efforts are united!

BLOG QUESTION: Of the four things to consider when taking on a project from God - Prayer, Preparation, Priorities and Perserverence 1) what things come natural to you? and 2) what things are a struggle?

6 comments:

Tonia said...

Having the gift of leadership, I know that my strengths are priority and perseverance. When I have a job to do, I will put less important things to the side and concentrate on finishing the task before me.
My weaknesses are my strengths! In my desire to do a job and do it well, I often forget to pray and prepare first. I tend to take on a project in my own strength and with my own plan and then find myself calling out to God - "Give me strength!"

Nancy Bailey said...

When I have embarked on a project or am asked to complete one; the preparation is one I can tackle easily. I am a real organized and structured type of a person and so I prepare way ahead and at times perhaps even over prepare. I can fairly easily make something a priority too. My only constant obstacle is my physical limitations which at times annoyingly get in my way, but still I can get the project done and on time. I am also one who can be rather stubborn and persevere. However I have learned in a rather hard way that no matter how you may want to persevere you will always encounter roadblocks …some which you cannot move and have no control over. The hardest and unnatural thing to me would be to pray about every single aspect of a project. By my nature I tend to be self reliant and I think it is because I have had to be very often. It isn’t that I do not know prayer works and that God is in everything. Prayer is just not as natural. I have gotten much better at remembering to take things to the Lord though as I have aged physically and matured in Christ.

Pat said...

I am more a follower than a leader when it comes to taking on projects. It may take longer than necessary for me to decided what project to do but once the decision is made I am committed to it. Prioritizing is a weak link for me but is getting better. I don't like to tell people no...I can't help them. In the past I have found myself entangled in multiple projects at the same time. One thing I have learned is if God wants you on the project it will run smooth. If not...nothing will go right and you will know what He is telling you !

Unknown said...

I tend to "dive in" to complete a task with out giving enough patients to prayer and time to listen. I must learn to do things in order, and be more patient and let him take things into his hands!
I loved this weeks lesson

Deanna said...

I find myself agreeing with Tonia.

Nehemiah's prayer life was what won his victories and God's plan was fulfulled. PRAISE! I too want to persevere in seeking Him first (in my prayers) in all I do.

Love ya
MOM

Holly said...

As someone who once struggled with fear/worry/anxiety I have come to understand these are normal human emotions. However, when they consume you they paralyze you;however a healthy dose of each keeps us dependent on our Lord and Savior. I am so thankful for this lesson. I never want to go back. It much better to look for God at work in the journey than it is to worry about the outcome. He is always working up stream.