Sunday, March 6, 2011

Why Me Lord?

Have you asked this question lately? Has something happened in your life that is causing you to second guess God's goodness, fairness and love? Do you believe you are somehow being punished by God through a time of unexplainable suffering?

Job is said to be the oldest book in the Bible. It's theme is blessings through suffering and gives us insight into the work of Satan. Job is living his life as a godly and upright man when disaster strikes. Unbeknown to Job, God has allowed Satan to take away Job's wealth, family and health. Satan believes that if the things Job values most are taken away, he will surely curse God. He even goes to the extent to infer that God would not have any followers if He did not reward them!

The basic question is not, "Why do godly people suffer?" but, "Is our God worthy of our worship and service or must He "buy" us with His blessings?" Life is good when God is "blessing" us with good health, wealth and comfort, but throw in an inconvenience and misfortune and we start to question, "Why me?" "What have I done to deserve this treatment?" "If you are a loving God, why do you let your people suffer?"

Trouble isn't always a sign of sin in a person's life. It may well be something that God allows to draw us closer to Him. As we see calamity and suffering in the life of Job, others and ourselves, we must remember we live in a fallen world where good behavior is not always rewarded and bad behavior is not always punished. There is some suffering that will never be understood or explained. Only God can see the big picture and the future and knows what needs to be done in order for His will to be accomplished.

Let's look at some ways suffering can actually be helpful and beneficial:
  • When we turn to God for understanding, endurance and deliverance.
  • When we ask important questions we might not take time to think about in our normal routine.
  • When we are prepared by it to identify with and comfort others who suffer.
  • When we are open to being helped by others who are obeying God.
  • When we are ready to learn from a trustworthy God.
  • When we realize we can identify with what Christ suffered on the cross for us.
  • When we are sensitized to the amount of suffering in the world.

Job was rewarded for his integrity and came out of his suffering experience grasping a greater understanding of God's majesty, sovereignty and independence and was able to see himself as God saw him. God restored his health, gave him another family and made him wealthier than before.

Here's a great reminder of who God is from the devotional, Heaven Calling.....

" My child, here is a truth to bring you some measure of relief from the pressure of your day: you are not God! I say that because I want to take the burden off your shoulders. You don't have to make everything in your world work according to your plans. If you simply let go and rest in me, I'll take care to make everything work according to my plans.

My love for you is greater and deeper than you will ever understand. So are my wisdom and power. As with my servant, Job, I welcome your questions, your sorrows, your requests, and above all, your burdens. I will walk with you each day of your life, and through the difficult times in particular, because I love you. And because I am God. Your God."

BLOG QUESTION: What are your thoughts on the statement - "God would not have any followers if He did not reward them?"

6 comments:

Cara said...

This was a GREAT lesson today. God has been showing me so much lately on why He allows hurt & suffering in our lives. Praying that I will keep all of this in mind when the next "big thing" comes in my life.

Mikaleen said...

Every Disciple He asked to follow dropped their nets, lives, and friends, no questions, and followed, out of blind faith, with no promise of reward! These days we ask "What's in it for me?" But anyone with a strong foundation of FAITH, knows what's in it for them, and God has even made a step by step, map to success!(The BIBLE)
If I were asked that question today I would say "You have no idea the gifts the Lord lays before us, for the taking, let me tell you how to cash in!")

Nancy Bailey said...

I believe if you are only following God for reward, then you have missed the point that it is God All Mighty you are following. Sure for the most part a big factor in following anything or anyone is for attention and reward, but in the case of God I would say there ought to be other reasons we follow…redemption, forgiveness, fear, in seeking wisdom, for guidance and obligation and pure adoration. I believe God will reward His faithful but in many cases that reward isn’t really evident in this life at all. Some of the most faithful are the most tormented and persecuted. This wouldn’t scream reward to any casual observer. The suffering Christian doesn’t say instant gratification from God so come and follow. There has to be a love and understanding, a trust and blind faith to be a true follower. The faithful in my opinion don’t follow in this life for the reward…at least not here on earth…they follow for the hope of a life one day in which there won’t even be a system of winners and losers.

Theresa said...

I'm not sure if anyone would follow God if we weren't rewarded, let alone me... Let me explain before you think I'm crazy! I'm thinking outside the box here. The rewards I'm speaking of are not wealth, happiness, comfort, or health. The ultimate reward I'm speaking of is the relationship we get to have with our heavenly Father!

However I agree with Nancy that if you are following God for other rewards mentioned above then you are truly missing out on just being able to enjoy the relationship with God. Instead you would always be a "gimme" person and miss on the rewards you get by being a "giving" person. ;)

Pat said...

Maybe that statement is true for some who take the word "reward" to mean wealth, etc. The majority I feel are filled with the Holy Spirit. They see need and try to help. The reward for them is instant. God "see's" our heart and knows the reason we do what we do. I believe we are put in certain situations (trials) where God tests us to either step out on Faith or just be selfish (what about me). Many have been blessed and have shared testimonies of how God has worked in their life ...to reconize that is reward enough.

Deanna said...

When we place our faith in seeing God at work in our lives, we can see the reward of that faith. To seek rewards is to show we have less love for the Father and are looking to receive that praise ourselves.

Matt 16:27

For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done.....Praise!