Sunday, March 20, 2011

Psalms of Praise!

As we continue our look at Psalms, let's focus on prayer. Many of the Psalms can be described as song-prayers with the most striking feature being their unedited honesty. God wants our openness, honesty and sincerity when we pray to Him. He's not afraid of our emotions and wants us to share our fears and frustrations, doubts and delights and our needs and not-so-pretty feelings with Him! By making the psalms our prayers we can learn a great deal about how God wants us to communicate with Him.

Do you know the shortest chapter of the Bible is Psalm 117 with only two verses. It is also the exact middle of the Bible with 594 chapters before it and 594 chapters after it...just a bit of trivia for you! Even though it only has two verses, it says a great deal about praising God: Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Have you ever said, "I can't think of anything God has done for me. How can I praise Him?" This psalm gives two reasons for praising God:

1) His great love toward us - the world; the ungrateful, the unworthy, and undeserving us. How great was His love - so great that He chose to send His only Son to die on the cruel cross for our sins (John 3:16). Romans 5:8 reminds us that.."God demonstrated His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." This fact alone should be enough for us to praise Him! I challenge you to read Psalm 136 if you need reminding that not only is God's love for us great, it also endures forever.

2) His faithfulness also endures forever. Can we say that about ourselves? When we get hurt or offended, ignored or rejected, someone sits in our seat or takes our parking spot at church, do we remain faithful? How silly that sounds, but how many people have moved on to another place of worship because of weak-faith (fulness)? Just think if God gave up on us as easily as we give up on others? We'd clearly all be left in the dust!

Take time this week to read some of the psalms of praise - here's a few to get you started: 8, 97, 100, 103, 107, 113, 145 and 150.

One of my favorite old hymns is Great Is Thy Faithfulness by Thomas O. Chisholm (1923). If you know it, sing it as a prayer back to God today. If you're not familar with it, here it is:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father; There is no shadow of turning with Thee; Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not; As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! Morning by morning new mercies I see. All I have needed Thy hand hath provided; Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest. Sun, moon and stars in their courses above. Join with all nature in manifold witness To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth. Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide; Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!Great is Thy faithfulness!Morning by morning new mercies I see.All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

BLOG COMMENT: Share with us your favorite psalm of praise and how you are able to turn it into a prayer of praise back to God.

6 comments:

Tonia said...

My prayer from Psalm 32:8-10:

Thank you God for being willing to instruct and teach me in the way I should go, plus you will give me advice and watch over me..that's reassuring!
I know I can be stubborn as a mule and want to go my own way, but if I simply trust in you and your guidance, I know your unfailing love will surround me.

Pat said...

My favorite..Psalms 23: 1-4

Thank you God for leading this lost sheep back to you. Seeing the green in Winter and quietly sitting by the water restores my soul and I see how blessed I really am. When I veer off course I cry out to you. With your rod and staff you correct my path. I am not afraid nor do I feel alone with your Word to comfort me.

Theresa said...

My prayer from Psalm 107

Thank you God for your goodness and mercy which lasts forever. Thank you for saving me. While I lived in darkness surrounded by the shadows of death and bound by chains you were there just waiting for me to cry out to you. As soon as I did you brought me out of the darkness and into the light! Thank you for doing a good work in me and continuing to do so.

Deanna said...

Comment: I want to thank the Lord for my children. My oldest, Tonia, and her desire to follow the path God has designed for her in helping us to be able to see more of what God has in his Word. To coach us along and help us see what God has in store for us in these trying days ahead. I have truly enjoyed all the books so far and will continue until the last one is completed. Keep up the work God has given you Tonia, and he will receive all the glory!

My prayer from Psalm 90: 12,17:

Oh, Father in heaven, teach me to make the most of my time in your word so I may gain knowledge and grow in wisdom. Lord, show me your approval and make me successful in these efforts. How wonderful you are to me - I love you and praise your Holy Name!

(Note): Son Tim in Pastoral Ministry - Daughter Tami professional singer for the Lord/ plus wife-mother-working. We are truly thankful to our Father In Heaven for our children and their choices to serve HIM!

Eileen said...

Psalm 119

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
Before I was saved I couldn't understand the Bible or what true salvation meant. I thank God for opening my eyes. What a privilege it is to be one of His children.

Nancy Bailey said...

Psalm 63: I love the poetic beauty and truth of these words. It reminds us there is no true sanctuary on earth; only in God. He alone is my helper and I’ve known sweet peace and rest in Him. I praise You and thank You Lord Jesus for Your true sanctuary. Daily I do search for it and long for its peace. I want to capture and hold onto Your loving unfailing truth and justice. I know it is Your strength, Lord, which keeps me going and nothing of me.
Psalm 84: What a sweet reminder Lord, that You lovingly provide a safe haven for even the tiny birds. How much more…how many hundreds of times more You provide daily for the needs of Your children! I pray Lord Jesus; to appreciate all You pour out to me and faithfully provide.