Monday, July 25, 2011

Excuse Me God, I Have a Question....

Do you shy away from asking God questions? Do you feel your faith and trust in Him should keep you from questioning what He does or doesn't do? Habakkuk was a little-known prophet with difficult questions and He wasn't afraid to ask them.

Looking at the dying world around him and observing that wickedness seemed to be winning, he boldly and confidently approached God by asking, "Why?" "Why do you allow so much evil in the world?" "Why does it seem to go unpunished?" "Why do I sense you're not hearing me." Have you ever wanted to ask questions like these, but have not dared?

God responds to Habakkuk with an answer he did not expect..."Look at the nations and watch--and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told" (Hab. 1:5). Instead of reprimanding Habakkuk, God gave him a glimpse into what would eventually happen to the wicked.

Habakkuk had a problem I think many of us do as well....He did not understand God's ways. And the great thing about God, is that He understands! We're reminded of this in Isaiah 55:8-9: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

God still wants us to come to Him with our concerns and questions and then listen for His response. I wanted to share a great devotion with you today from one of my favorite books, Heaven Calling. God tells us - "Ask me your questions, beloved one. The small questions that rustle in your mind. The big ones that keep you awake at night. The deep ones with hurt and pain attached that cause you to doubt me. I promise to hear every concern.

My servant Habakkuk didn't understand my ways, so he asked his questions and then waited for my answers. And I gave them. He still didn't completely understand, but he knew he could trust me. He understand that all of eternity is in my hands. One day, you will understand completely. One day I will make myself fully known. Until then, ask away. I will answer as much as you can understand."

Did you read that last statement? - "I will answer as much as you can understand." Maybe there are some things we will never get answers to because, like Habakkuk, we wouldn't believe it even if we were told!

BLOG COMMENT: Do you have a burning question you want to ask God? What's holding you back?

8 comments:

SingleMamma4God said...

There are things we do not need to know. Still more we will never fully understand. So many other things will simply be revealed as we continue to walk with God.

Whether I am formally praying or not I know God is listening to every thought I have. He is the one who have given us natural curiosity anyway.

I never worry that I am bothering Him. I just release my thought life and when answers come in I say thank you!

Nancy Bailey said...

I would like to ask God if he is sad or disappointed when a disabled person hates the way they are or gets frustrated with all the limitations, pain etc daily; or if God is ok with it because we are mad at disease? Because if it is ultimately his plan for us to glorify him through a disability is it grievous to him at the same time when you get angry at that? Because I would wager that most disabled people can appreciate what they have learned through enduring their disabilty, and yet all the same they have a loathing for the complications, cost(more than financial too) and pain of it.

Tonia said...

Great comments ladies! Thanks for sharing :)

Judi Cotignola said...

I have many questions I would like to ask God! But mostly, why does His work in my heart have to hurt so badly? Will I ever feel like I'm making progress; is this just a phase out of the Habukkak dip?

I know that there are things we will never totally understand, but sometimes it would be nice to feel like progress is being made the pain.

Tonia said...

Thanks for sharing Judi.

I'm sure what you're feeling is shared by many women. Don't stop relying on God for your strength through the pain.

Remember, God looks for progress, while we tend to look for perfection!

Anonymous said...

This is such a good article thank you Tonia it makes so much sense and my goodness but yeah we are really in a mess of sin here in the good ole USA! And I always have questions...actually today I was thinking about the word "sovereignty"... we know that God is our sovereign Lord but I still had some questions too..
I was reading Job-actually, my mom brought it up, because she had a question about it-and so I started reading it and then didn't think much of it until I decided to listen to a sermon on the Faith website, and chose one by Johhny Pope called Don't Fuss don't Cuss (boy could i relate to that lol)-and IN this sermon the pastor spoke about Job (from the reference in James ch 5)and then all about God's sovereignty!! It was such a good example about suffering and His love wow!! Like he (the pastor) used chess as an example to illustrate God's plans and such...sorry about the grammar but you all might like to listen to it! Helps A LOT with the whole problem of suffering we all feel-myself also! I get so impatient it is really quite childish. Hopefully I am making Him laugh a lot : ) cause it will all one day be okay right? Really we are going to be good as long as we are close to Him. whew.

LouAnn said...

Its always good to ask God questions. It shows Him that our hearts want answers and that we look to Him for them. The second step is often the hardest, being open for the answers and trusting God will keep His promises. Remembering always its not about us but all about Him.

Deanna said...

My question God is, why do I sometimes worry and fret; when I know you are in charge and will answer/take care of the situation in your timing! This world is showing us that your time is fast approaching. There is no time to be selfish and want my needs met, but looking toward the needs of others.

Ps 62:8 Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge! Praise

I shall continue to seek protection from the One who cannot be moved...Help me Lord to be mindful that nothing, absolutely nothing, will happen this day that You and I cannot handle together.
(Promises & Prayers for Women)