Monday, January 23, 2012

Do As I Do!

                                
Have you ever done or said something that you wish you could instantly delete? Are you aware of just how many people are watching your Christian example? In Paul's letter to Titus, he emphasizes the importance of living a life of integrity, soundness of speech and doctrine - one that could not be condemned.

Titus 2:7 says, "In everything, set them an example by doing what is good."  What kind of example are you setting for others today? Do you have fellow employees observing your actions and responses? Are there young children in your midst that love to mimic what you say and do? Is there a friend or family member listening to your conversations and taking note of your deeds?

It's said, "If you want someone to act a certain way, be sure that you live that way yourself!" How do you want the people in your life to act and/or treat you? Do you find yourself saying - "Do as I say and not as I do." (ouch!) Why don't we switch that up a bit and make it our goal to "Do as I do!"

What can you do in regards to our words and deeds? What can you work on in order to be the example of doing good? How can you "do to others what you would have them do to you." (Matthew 7:12)

1) Your words should be uplifting and encouraging. We get plenty of negative feedback throughout our day, don't be a contributor. Research shows we need 5 positive interactions a day for every 1 negative. Who can you uplift and encourage today?

2) Your words should be wholesome and worthy of being heard. Don't waste them on foolish talk, senseless debate and stupid arguments. Words can help or hurt instantly and many can never be taken back.

3) Your deeds should be sincere and self-less. People know when we're faking it and can usually identify insincerity a mile away! Actions done for others with humility and with no expectations are the best received and the most rewarding.

4) Our deeds should be out of obedience to God and love for others. Jesus left this earth with a new command, "Love one another, as I have loved you...." (John 13:34) Some people are easier to love than others. Some people make loving them enjoyable and pleasant; others present a challenge. Either way, we are to love as Jesus loved - unconditionally.

Let me leave you with this as an encouragement to set the example that you want others to follow today:

"May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
(2 Thess. 2:16-17)

Go be an example of uplifting, encouraging and wholesome words - Doing sincere and self-less deeds out of obedience and love :)

2 comments:

Nancy Bailey said...

I think when we hear someone with less than encouraging words, or who has a hard time seeing good in others; we must really be the Christian mature enough and wise enough to feel compassion for them. They didn't get the way they are by accident. Their words and actions reflect a life of hurt,criticism,and rejection which they pass on to others. They need our love and direction above rebuff and correction.

Deanna said...

A Prayer from Promises and Prayers for Women. I may use this little book to quote from often, but when it speaks to me, as it did today, I wish to share:

Heavenly Father, at times this world can become a demanding place, a place where I rush through the day with my eyes focused only on my next step. Slow me down, Lord, and give me wisdom and peace so that I might look beyond my own needs and see the needs of those around me. Today, help me to be generous, compassionate, and understanding. Today, let me spread kind words and deeds to all who cross my path. Today, let the love for Christ shine through me. And le me show kindness to all who need the healing touch of our Master's hand. Amen

Matthew 25:40
Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.