Monday, January 16, 2012

What Good is the Bible?

Some consider the Bible to be a collection of stories, fables, myths and human ideas about God. Some think it's just made up of rules and lists of do's and don'ts. What do you consider the Bible to be good for? If you've been following us through our Know the Bible study, I hope you'd be able to answer that question with bold confidence!

From the Old Testament, we learned about the origin, obedience (and much disobedience) and opportunities of God's people, the Israelites. We saw who God is and among many of His attributes, we witnessed over and over again that He is.."a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love." (Nehemiah 9:17).

In 2 Timothy 3:16-17, we are reminded of what the Bible is good for. "All Scripture is God-breathed, and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man/woman of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

1) God-breathed: The Bible is not a human book. Through the Holy Spirit, God revealed His person and plan to certain believers who wrote down His message for His people. Scripture is completely trustworthy because God was in control of its writing. The Bible is God-breathed!

2) Teaching: Because the entire Bible is God's Word - we need to read it, learn it and apply it. It is our standard for testing everything else that claims to be true. It is our safeguard against false teaching and our source of guidance for how we should live. What are you learning from God's Word?

3) Rebuking: (To find fault, to scold sharply) There are times when God's Word will point out faults in our life. Is that always pleasant? No. But is it necessary? Yes. How we respond to our "scolding" will determine our next step...

4) Correcting: When God's Word opens our eyes to areas that we need to correct and change, we know we can turn to the Bible to show us what to do differently. It doesn't just tell us what we're doing wrong, it gives us instruction and...

5) Training in Righteousness or "Right-Living". We should not use the Bible as just another textbook to increase our knowledge or to prepare us to win senseless arguments! It is a training manual for right and God-honoring living, so that we are....

6) Thoroughly Equipped for every good work. We must remember the purpose of the Bible is to educate and equip us to do good. The Bible is good for showing us and preparing us to do Christ's work in the world. Our knowledge of God's Word is not useful until it strengthens our faith and leads us to do good!

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do". ~ Eph. 2:10

So, what good is the Bible to you? Are you treating it with the respect it is due? Are you relying on it to teach you the way to live? Are you open to its rebuking and then following through with correction? Are you allowing it to be your guideline for righteous living? I hope so!

BLOG COMMENT: Share with us how you would answer the skeptic who asks - "What good is the Bible?"

3 comments:

Sally said...

What the Bible is to me...
It is a map, for my daily journey...As I consult the "God-Breathed" Word, it directs my steps, every day, and opens my eyes, and heart, to what He has for me.
It teaches me, how to be "stong and courageous", while I allow Him to go "before" me, in all my endeavors.
It lifts me up, with the "Light" of His presence, when I am going through the shadow, of a dark valley.
It is a comfort, and full of promises, to me, and how I can attain them, in my life...
It is one of the most important ways, for God to speak to me..
through His Holy Word...It's Alive!..Spirit Filled!!..and that is what I need, and want for my day..That is why it is so important to me!

Deanna said...

The Bible has several topics that I turn to when situations call for it:
The Bible Talks about Life:

1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you.

The Bible talks about Relationships-

Proverbs 18:24
There are "friends" who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.

The Bible talks about the Future:

Psalm 119:105 Your Word is a lamp for my feet and a Light for my Path.

"What Good is the Bible?" Prayer -

James 5:16b The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great powers and wonderful results.

John 15:7 "But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted!"

Most importantly; I John 1:9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong.

Nancy Bailey said...

The Bible is literally your lifeline when you are faced with heartbreaking and tragic life events. It is the balm for the one suffering. The Bible is a comfort for the grieving. The Bible is hope for those who find no hope from this world or who has little to hope for in this earthly world. The promises of God contained in this book will keep you going when others abandon you, when you are in pain physically, when your dreams fall apart and those you counted on fail you.