Monday, January 9, 2012

Keep Practicing

Would you consider yourself a diligent person? Do you stick with something that you know is right even though it is difficult and challenging? Or do others' successes intimidate you and tempt you to give up?

Timothy was a young leader, the pastor of the church in Ephesus and a friend/mentee of the Apostle Paul. In the book of First Timothy, Paul presents pastoral advice as well as personal encouragement to his disciple, Timothy.

In 1 Timothy 4, Paul instructs Timothy on several things: "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young. But set an example in (your) speech, life, love, faith and purity." "Devote yourself to preaching and teaching." "Do not neglect your gift." and "Be diligent in these matters so that everyone may see your progress."

As we start a new year, I'm sure you have things you want to change about yourself, your life, etc. Are you determined to be diligent in reaching these goals? Are you visualizing what it will be like when you are successful? The average person gives up on their "resolutions" by mid-February! Resolve today not to be among the "average."

A person could double their production/reach their goals, in they began to practice what they know they should do instead of doing what they know they shouldn't do! (Eat too much, spend too much, sit around too much, talk too much, sleep too much, etc.) Success comes from diligently practicing the right things. Dr. John Maxwell shares pillars of practice that we should incorporate into our daily lives in order to succeed:

1) The right influence. We need to surround ourselves with people who will help, influence and encourage us. Paul was that person for young Timothy. He helped him succeed for God, influenced his behavior and encouraged him when he doubted himself. Who do you have in your life that is a help, positive influence and encouragement?

2) Your best effort. Paul instructed Timothy to "give yourself wholly" to the things he needed to do and be. Are you giving your goals your best effort? In I Timothy 4: 16, Paul encourages Timothy to "persevere ...because if you do, you'll save both yourself and your hearers." Are you practicing new behaviors and giving yourself incentives for when you succeed?

3) A clear purpose. Be certain about what you're trying to accomplish. Effort without knowledge is like speed without direction. In Timothy's case, it was important for him to be an example by how he spoke, lived out his faith, loved others and valued purity. His purpose in pursuing these behaviors was so that "everyone may see your progress." Isn't that why you want to change?

You only play well if you practice well. So, where are you on the practice continuum? Just starting out? At the phase of rapid progress? Have you already made great gains, now you're just fine-tuning? Knowing where you are, helps you know what you need to do. So keep practicing!

BLOG COMMENT: What's your biggest challenge in being diligent with practicing new behaviors?

6 comments:

Sally said...

My biggest challenge, at this point,in my life, is exhibiting enough will power, to change my eating habits..I need to pray more, about this, and ask God to be my "will power", and to take away the desire, for the "not so good for you" foods, that I crave, and give into to!!...I have always had an eating problem, in this area, but, my goal is to "practice" that which I want to accomplish...of course, I believe in having "something, not so good",for me, every once in awhile, but on the whole, that is my prayer, for myself..God is good...all the time, and I know He will help me, as long as I, too, help myself!

Anonymous said...

The word diligence keeps coming up...just to wake up and believe that God is for me and not against me. No matter what anyone says (including myself) or how anyone else behaves towards me. Also even if I keep failing over and over again (which I have been doing like since I was born)lol... Failure is a part of everyday experience. I am not perfect and my own righteousness avails nothing but frustration and confusion if I compare myself to other more successful testimonies. God's grace is for ME alone as well as for everyone else. I am not alone!

Nancy Bailey said...

My health issues often side-track me from practicing one new behaviour and that is being more social. Fellowship, and having Christian friendships is difficult when every aspect has to be planned out constantly!

Deanna said...

Being content in whatever situation comes my way is what I have to "Keep Practicing". The Lord is gracious and merciful and loves me without reservation, always showing me that His Plan is the best and to continue doing what is before me and he will bring my joy to pass. Soooo

Psalm 90:14....Satisfy me in the morning with your unfailing love, that I may sing for JOY and be glad all my days.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen said...I have increasingly become easily distracted. Thinking about it as the distration has increased diligence has decreased. Teter taughter out of balance. With that recognition now comes practice for balance.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen said -haha funny...guess I got distracted and clicked on 2012 lesson. Thank You Lord for showing me to Focus.